Back to Section Home

College Police


The Butte College Police Department is dedicated to the people, traditions and diversity of our College. In order to protect life and property, prevent crime and reduce the fear of crime, we will provide service with understanding, response with compassion, performance with integrity and law enforcement with vision.


Emergency:  For an emergency or a crime in process, please call 911.


Phone: (530) 895-2351 or 2677 (COPS) from campus phones


Casey Carlson, Chief
Phone: (530) 895-2351 OR 2677 (COPS) from campus phones

For additional information on Chief Carlson, click here.

Douglas Sloan, Sergeant
Phone: (530) 895-2351 OR 2677 (COPS) from campus phones


Board Policy 3540- Sexual and Other Assaults on Campus

Board Policy 3515-Reporting Crimes

All District Board Policies

Board Procedure 3570-Smoking

Clery Act, Safety and Security on Campus

For more information about the Clery Act: 


Emergency Phone Locations

Designated Smoking Areas

All Gender Restrooms

Security Camera Access Control Operating Guidelines 2023


ABOUT YOUR COLLEGE POLICE DEPARTMENT-  The College Police Officers have peace officer authority pursuant to Penal Code 830.32 and Education Code 72330. The College Police Department is responsible for law enforcement and all emergency responses on campus. The College Police Department is also responsible for providing support services tailored to meet the needs of the campus community. Our department strives to provide a sensitive measured approach to all situations requiring police assistance, while still maintaining the autonomy of the College.


Butte College maintains 4 off-campus centers. Three are located in the City of Chico and the other is in the City of Orland. The Butte College Police Department provides primary law enforcement and emergency response coverage for the Chico Center, Skyway Center and the Cosmetology and Barbering Center.  

Emergency response for the Glenn County Center is provided by the Orland police department. Any criminal activity or any other emergencies occurring at the Glenn County Center should immediately be reported to the local police department and center staff. The Butte College Police department will respond to behavioral, disruption or cold crimes at the Glenn County Center, but does not maintain a patrol presence at this location.

No college can be risk free in this society. We encourage all Butte College members to work together in cooperation to create an atmosphere that is safe and conducive to learning. All campus members are encouraged to immediately report any suspicious or unlawful activity on campus to the College Police Department. You can contact the College Police Department 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call us from any of our Emergency Phones (RED PHONES) on the main campus. Simply open the phone and push the button. The phone will automatically ring College Police.  You can also call 911 or 530-895-2351.




Crime Prevention- Your efforts will greatly add to, or detract, from our ability to keep criminal activity at the lowest possible level on campus.

Some do's and don'ts that should be followed:


  • Do report all criminal activity and/or suspicious circumstances to the College Police Department.
  • Do protect your personal property by keeping it with you or secured at all times.
  • Do mark your personal property, such as cell phones, digital recording devices, calculators, MP3 players, or personal computers with some form of identification such as your name, student ID number, etc.


  • Don't walk alone at night if at all possible.
  • Don't leave books, jewelry, purses, wallets, backpacks, or other valuables unattended.
  • Don't leave personal property unattended in desks or file cabinets unless they are locked.
  • Don't give out your personal information such as your e-mail or phone numbers to people you do not know.
  • Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your vehicle, and always lock your vehicle.


To Report Crime

- Emergencies: Call 911

- Non-Emergencies:

  • For non-emergencies medical and law enforcement, call Butte College Police Department at (530) 895-2351. (Extension 2351 on campus). Stay on the line with the operator.
  • Report in person at the Facilities Planning and Management building.
  • Use one of several emergency phones located throughout campus.
  • Notify a college employee to call College Police at extension 2351.




Automobile Accident Report (PDF)

  • Stop at the scene and check to see if anyone is injured in the automobile accident.
  • Call “911” for anyone who needs medical attention. If anyone is unconscious, it is best not to move them unless absolutely necessary as moving them could make their injuries worse. If you must move injured people, make sure to keep their head and neck supported the entire time.
  • Safely get out of the way of traffic if possible. If your car does not work, turn on your warning lights or open your hood to warn other drivers in the area. Your safety is most important.
  • Report the accident to the appropriate law enforcement agency (i.e. Butte College Police if on campus, Chico Police if in the city of Chico, or the California Highway Patrol if on a highway or freeway, etc.)
  • Do not admit or deny responsibility and do not sign any document unless required to do so by a police officer.
  • Exchange name, address and vehicle registration number with the driver of the other vehicle. (See Automobile Accident Report by clicking here.)
  • Obtain name, address and phone number of any witnesses. (See Automobile Accident Report by clicking here.)
  • Take pictures of everything involved in the car accident, as long as it can be done safely. These pictures should include each car driver, each automobile in the car accident showing any property damage, skid marks, any other damage to property, as well as the location of the automobile accident. The more pictures the better. When in doubt, take pictures. It is a good idea to keep a disposable camera in your glove compartment or trunk. If there are no other cameras available, then you should use a cell phone camera. Pictures may help your automobile insurance company determine how much you should be paid for your injuries.



If you wish to contest a parking citation issued on our campus, submit a written request within 21 days of the issued date of your citation to the City of Chico, P.O. Box 3449, Chico, California 95927-3449. Indicate the reason(s) you feel the citation was issued in error. Include any copies of documents related to the appeal. The City of Chico will review the appeal and respond directly to you. If you have further questions on the process or you want to check on the status of your citation, you may call their information line at (800) 828-3551.


Pursuant to Civil Code Sections 2080-2080.9, all found property turned into the Police Department  is kept for 90 days.  After 90 days if the owner cannot be located the property may be destroyed or donated. To inquire about lost or found property, contact the Butte College Police Department at (530) 895-2351.  Due to health safety and storage concerns, the following items will not be stored as Lost and Found:  any container of perishable food or beverage, clothing(other than Jackets, sweatshirts or like items in good condition).     



Depending on availability, College Police may assist in lock-outs and jump starts of your vehicle. Officers will ask for owner verification and will require you to sign a liability waiver form.



We encourage carpooling as alternative transportation. Carpools receive preferential parking in parking lots 1, 3, and 4. If you are carpooling, a current Butte College carpool decal is required and you must register with the Butte College Police Department each semester.  Click here to complete the application prior to registering in person.  Registration is available on the main campus or at the Chico Center.

Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Vehicles Parking

Preferential parking for electric vehicles and alternative fuel vehicles are available on the main campus.  Register for an alternative fuel vehicle permit at the Butte College Facilities Department. Click here to complete the application ahead prior to registering in person. Please bring a copy of your vehicle registration as verification. Permit is not required for electric vehicle parking. For more information, please call Butte College Police Department at 530-895-2351.



Monday - Friday, 5:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Holidays - Closed

District employees in need of contacting College Police between these hours will need to first call extension 2351 from an on campus telephone or 530-895-2351 from off campus. If there is no answer, then you will need to call the Elite Universal Security Dispatch Center at (888) 948-4774. They will dispatch an officer as required.

In addition, anyone requiring entrance or exit from the campus when the gates are closed will need to meet with College Police or Elite Security (after having made contact with them) at the main Durham-Pentz gate during these hours. This will be the only gate that will be unlocked after hours.


The following driving safety tips are always recommended:

  • Buckle up—it's the law.
  • No texting and driving-it's the law.
  • Pay attention—don't be distracted or take your eyes away from the road.
  • If you need to make a call or text, pull off to the side of the road.
  • Don't overcorrect. Many accidents result from overcorrecting as drivers try to get back on to the road. If you go off of the road don't turn sharply to get back on. If you do, you can overturn your vehicle.
  • Make sure windshield wipers are in good condition.
  • Slow down and allow more time for your journey. The maximum posted speed limit may not apply to wet or icy road conditions.
  • If you encounter fog, again, slow down. Drive with your lights on low beam.

Butte College | 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville CA 95965 | General Information (530) 895-2511

Back to Top